Sunday, July 13, 2008

80 Degrees and Sunny!

Bee Balm



Crabapples




My new bird feeding system with a little bird eating safflower.


The feeder above is the one the squirrel was on the inside of!



My Clematis was gorgeous this spring. The flowers are gone now.


This is the bird house that Kearstin made and now houses a nest.


Dianthus


A sunny view in the woods.



Hostas in bloom.



Not a hummingbird, but these guys like the food too.


Coreopsis


Bush roses.


Daylilly


Wow! What a beautiful weekend it has been. It rained early Saturday, but turned out to be an absolutely picture perfect, sunny day. Today has been beautiful from the very beginning.



I love my yard. I've been working since yesterday on weeding and cleaning up the daylillies.


The hostas are in bloom, the coreopsis has doubled since last year, the dianthis is blooming, my little bush roses add the needed red out in front, my spindly crabapple tree has little crabapples
on it, the bee balm has its pretty purple flowers, and on and on. The view from my little hill in back into the woods is gorgeous....the sun peeks through in spots just over the creek.



I got a new bird feeding system last week in hopes of keeping the squirrels and coons out of my bird food. I put food out for them as well, but it was never enough. They insisted on taking my bird feeders constantly. The coons were able to figure out how to unscrew the lids to some of them. I'd always have to go out in the woods to find my feeders - usually cracked and no good anymore. On one of my searches a few years ago, I found the pink bird house shown here. It has a name on the bottom ~ my former neighbor's daughter, Kearstin made this. It has moved around my yard for a few years and this year Brent stuck it up on a pole near the woods. Lo and behold, the cutest little bird (I have not clue what it is) with a beautiful song, is making a nest in it. The same kind of bird has also built nests in my bluebird boxes (after the bluebirds left).



The hummingbirds are extremely hungry this year, I have three feeders. They were empty yesterday so I filled them and this afternoon, one of them was completely empty again! Last night, when the feeders were in the house and Brent and I were outside, one of the little buggers was looking for his food, and when he couldn't find it, flitted right in front of Brent, and looked him in the face for a few seconds before zooming off in a huff!



This morning, a whole flock of Blue Jays came through, and there were six cardinals. None of the birds are too sure of the new feeders yet, but they are checking them out. The safflower is going the fastest.



The one feeder, pictured above ~empty, is a favorite of the squirrels and coons. I filled it with cracked corn last week and have watched the squirrels enjoy it. Yesterday morning, Brent hollered for me to come quick. There was a little squirrel on the INSIDE! He wasn't that little, but somehow he squeezed his body in through the slits at the bottom. I ran to get my camera and just as I got out there to snap the picture, he finally sqeezed back out, so I didn't get a picture of him on the inside. I've never seen anything like it!



I love my yard!

1 comment :

The Claycomb Family said...

wow, miss kathy! how cool is it that a bird is living in my bird house. i really wish i was there to see it. miss you guys kearstin