Sunday, August 31, 2008

ASHLEY SAID YES!

On Saturday morning (actually, the middle of the night) I got a phone call (not surprising--it happens about three times a week anymore) that we were slammed at work and my one third shifter didn't think he was going to be able to get all the 8 o'clocks finished on time. So, after just a couple hours of sleep (sleep? what iS that?) I went in.

At around 8am, Ricky called my cell and asked where I was. He said he was up (you're kiddin' me, right? Where is my real son? He's never up and ready by 8am!), and

had already cooked Ashley breakfast and was heading to the house to hang out for a while. I told him I had about another 45 minutes and I would be home. He called again, just as I was leaving and said no one was up at home. I assured him I was on my way. I actually stopped to get gas and while I was there, thought I'd run through the car wash then vacuum my car really quick. All of a sudden, I hear a honk behind my car. It's Ashley and Ricky! They got bored (Ricky hasn't watched TV in months, guess he doesn't care to watch it anymore now!) and came to look for me!

Ashley had to run to her work and Ricky said he had a few errands to run. He left, came back, and asked if I'd like to ride with him to the jewelry store. Today was the day!

This was the reason Ricky came home for the weekend. He purchased a beautiful engagement ring and band (already sized) and we got back home just as Ashley came back. They were going to go have lunch with her dad. Ricky had called him earlier in the week to talk about marrying Ashley and her dad asked him if they could meet for lunch while he was here. So they went and at the urging of Ashley and I, wore his ACUs.
Ricky said her dad pulled him into a backroom at the dealership and had all kinds of questions for him like, "What are your plans?", "How do you think you've changed?", etc., etc.......

He said he was very nervous at first, but that Ashley's dad is really cool. So, they survived the lunch. Ricky had already made reservations at Takeoka, Ashley's favorite restaraunt. He called Brent a few times, trying to decide how to pop the question. Brent suggested giving the ring to the manager at the restaraunt and having it brought out on a plate with sparklers. Then told Ricky to get down on one knee and ask her.

As it turned out, he put it in the glove box without Ashley knowing and while they were driving, asked her to get his chapstick out of the glove box. Now, Ashley had just picked up this car from her dad's lot that day. She asked Ricky "I have a glove box? Where?" !!! Too funny! Well, she opened it and there was the ring.

Now all day, Brent and I had been waiting for this. We were waiting for Ricky to call us. Actually, we both said we wanted to just show up and be there too!! Anyway, Ricky finally called Brent and told him "She said NO!" He was just yanking Brent's chain!

She actually said YES! So Brent and I made phone calls last night to let everyone know that in the near future, we are getting a daughter-in-law!

We haven't seen them yet, so I don't have any pictures to post, but I will later this morning when they get here.

No comments :